Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Type 2 Diabetes complications


I don't often write about my extended family on my blog out of respect for them and the fact they they have not chosen to be as public as I am. Normally I don't but I have to admit I'm scared and it warrants being written about. I hate it but it's our reality. Our, being myself, my sister and my mom. My Dad has been sick. He's a type 2 diabetic and if I am being honest he doesn't manage his illness properly. He has all these ideas of how he thinks he should do things because "he knows". He's been sick with stomach bug type symptoms but I am not convinced. I won't go into the details but I will say that these issues lead my sister and I to go check up on him as I do very often using the excuse that I had to bring him the Valentine's Day card Miss Roo made for him. When we arrived he was clearly much worse and I was convinced likely headed toward diabetic coma. Diabetic ketoacidosis it's a very serious, life threatening complication of diabetes. The symptoms are scary on their own but my dad showed signs of ALL symptoms which is horrifying to loved ones. My Dad refused to go to the hospital at first but eventually he agreed. He was nearly non-verbal, presenting like someone who was heavily intoxicated. He refused an ambulance, but I called them anyway knowing that with the snowy, icy conditions we couldn't get him to the car safely.

The ambulance came and the paramedics began to care for him while asking me for details. I have been here with my Dad before so I was well aware of the info they needed. The paramedics told me he was in very bad shape and they couldn't even drive until they stabilized him.

Once stabilized they transported him to our local hospital. I stayed with him all night until someone else had come to be with him in my place. I am worried. I know we need to have a discussion about what to do once he is home. None of us can keep doing this. I am headed back to the hospital shortly and am praying things are getting better.

While most people can live a long, normal life after being diagnosed with Diabetes, it is still a very serious issue if left untreated or if not treated properly.

If you have a loved one with diabetes talk to them about there disease management and understand the warning signs before encountering an emergency situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for a taking a moment to let me know your thoughts! I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...