Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday 27 February 2013

Sock Hop Party Theme Part One

When I plan a party I do it really really well. I can't leave one single bit of the planning or decor to other people. I plan everything, I make the decorations BY HAND, and I make sure it's an event to remember. This year started out exactly the same as all the others. Roo requested her birthday invitation to be hamburgers. You can see the post about them here. They were fun and super cute! Best of all, the recipients could build them over and over again! 

I struggled to come up with a theme to suit but after showing Roo some photos and options she settled on a sock hop. Yay! So much fun! And the planning began. I got a great deal of it done but we had a family emergency that forced me to ask for help. Those who know me, know this is unheard of.   

Roo's party was planned for Feb 24th. My Dad died on the 23rd. I haven't written about it other than of his health declining, requiring a trip to the ER.

I spent Saturday in my Dad's home being questioned by the police, calling my family members to notify them and reeling from the sudden shock of having been the one to find him. All birthday setup was put on hold for the day but I refused to ruin Roo's birthday. Hubs and I decided not to tell her until after her big day. We went ahead with her party and only told our closest friends what had happened.
I needed them. 
I needed them to hold me together and help me give my girl her fabulous party I had worked so hard on.

Enter my three best friends. I don't normally name them when I write about them but I will this time. Julie, who has been my best friend since I was 11 (a quarter of a century!), was already in her car making the long drive to be here by my side through this hell. Laura, took both Aussie and Roo for the day to entertain them while I was making arrangements. I didn't want them to see me in such a wreck. Ewa, who shares my eye for party planning came to help me set up early. She and Laura came to help me do everything I wouldn't normally allow ANYONE to do. And they did things exactly as I asked even if they disagreed. They knew to just let me be. They smiled when I needed it and they hurt for me when I needed company in my grief. 

They are good people. The best of the best, and I am so lucky to have them. They helped me give my daughter the party she deserved so she wouldn't associate her birthday with her Papa's death.

I'll post the finer details later, mind is still scattered with the funeral being tomorrow but this is what the party looked like. 



Have you been to a party with a really great theme? 
What was it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for a taking a moment to let me know your thoughts! I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...