Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday 7 September 2011

The comfort food continues

Now that some chilly weather has hit us I am really feeling like the heart warming kind of meals that everyone craves when it's cold outside. Yesterday was a "Hearty Chili" that is perfect as a vegetarian chili, but we add a pound of lean ground beef to it.

Today it was a flattened chicken rubbed with herbs, and roasted on a rack in a pan with baby carrots and baby red potatoes. Roo was home when I was getting it ready so she was my little kitchen helper and I must say it was a blast! She's learning to love food, and is more willing to try new things if she's had a hand in making it. She thought this chicken was "adorable" because when flattened out well the breasts resembled a heart shape!! She's so girly!

I was super excited to be serving from a platter at the table. A good old fashioned family dinner! Imagine how my head spun around and I lost it on my son after he announced he wasn't joining us for dinner since he wasn't hungry. What?? How in the heck is THAT possible?? He's a 6 foot tall, growing 14 year old who is constantly eating or asking to be fed! When he kept going on about not being hungry I caved, but only a bit. I told him he didn't have to eat, but he did HAVE to join us at the table. Love having myself a frustratingly typical teen.

So, since I know this is a visual world we live in, how about some photos.

Flattened chicken and veggies all ready for the "sauna"

Roo posing with the dinner she helped to make!

Our final product! Roasted chicken and veggies, wild rice and stuffing (yup, it's Stove Top in case you were wondering!)

Roo anxious to get some on her plate!
Reviews from the family:

Roo: "yummy, I love my heart chicken!!!"

Hubs: "This is great, and I even like the rice. Hope there's enough left for lunch tomorrow."

Aussie: "Mind if I take some more, it really *is* good!"

You see, my son, who claimed not to be hungry just didn't think he'd like it and he was sitting there with no food staring at ours. Hubs made him try a bite at that was the end of the "hunger strike" He heaped up that plate with everything but the rice. He still wouldn't try it.

It was another successful family dinner in our household!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for a taking a moment to let me know your thoughts! I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...