Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday 1 November 2006

Loosing out on Parent of the Year 2006...

This has been such a busy week. I have no idea where the time went. First it was Saturday and when I woke up this morning the calendar says Wednesday. Sheesh, I am wiped! OK so first thing is first. My son decided months ago he wanted to be Jason for Halloween, you know big murderous guy with a machete. All was fine with that, then a few weeks ago he decides he want to be a "PUNK" we go shopping for a costume, only to be told that a punk costume can not be bought it must be "put together" using key pieces of clothing, that my son already had. Great right! Well the down side is that they have weird hair. Not just a little different but "everyone will stare" different. He wanted the authentic look, meaning a Mohawk. He would not settle for a faux-hawk so we agreed that he could get a Mohawk if we saw an A+ on his geography test. (I kind of hoped he would not do it- guess I'm not parent of the year huh?) Well he did it so we took him on Saturday to get it done. HE gets to keep it until Saturday. ONE WEEK. A fantastic lady named Marnie did it. She actually seemed to enjoy it, and we all had a fun time. Here are a few of the shots from that day. Auntie Shanny loves it, Frammie HATES it and Grandma Anita loves it. No other feedback. People must be afraid to comment. I say I hate it, but secretly what I hate is the stereotype that my kid must be a bully/troubled boy because of the hair. He is the sweetest boy going and not a mean bone in his body, so the looks we get from people make me feel bad. People look at me with disdain... because if I let him have a Mohawk I must be a bad parent right?


Still looking sweet....... Not so sweet........















OMG what have I done?

9 comments:

  1. On the contrary--he looks fantastic, and it was great that you let him try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly we are all judged by our appearences. He must have really wanted it, to have gotten a A on his test. It was fun for him to experience a mohawk, and hair does grow.
    By the way..I was out of the running for parent of the year in mid January. It makes the rest of the year have far less pressure...hee.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mohawk or not, you can still see a sweet boy in his face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:35 pm

    No, no, no - that boy's face is way to sweet to be mistaken for anything but sweet! Don't worry - and I'm sure he loves you for it (and it's even better that it's only lasting a short time!). xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:07 pm

    Rock on dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:48 pm

    WOO HOO!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think he should be able to express his self in whatever way he chooses...

    thanks for commenting on my old blog...my new one is www.meocracy.blogspot.com

    i'll check back with ya chicka

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:07 am

    Coleen, You touched on one of my biggest sore spots...stereo-typing.
    Yes, this world does have so much of that and it has always bothered me so much. No one has the right to judge another, lest they walk in their shoes. No one knows where that person has been and yet, so many judge others just by their appearance. There is a dear homeless man in Oshawa that I adore and some look at him like he is from another planet, yet if you take one minute to actually know him, he speaks to you with respect, kindness and compassion, traits many lack. Glad you brought up this point. Just sorry you had to endure such critisism. But proud of you for what you did.
    And I know that you and Austin are better people because of it. Love you dearly,

    Grandma Anita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coleen, I saw you on Leslie lightfoots comments and checked out your page.
    You know, my best friend had a son about your age and you know what.. you do win mother of the year. Or at least a nomination. her phylosophy was if he needs to express himself better that way than thru drugs or other things. better to let your child express himself than sucumm to peer pressure. he could be doing worse things that you don't know about!
    you get my nomination even if it was only for a short time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for a taking a moment to let me know your thoughts! I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...