Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Monday 17 March 2008

Since you may be wondering...


Ruari: The name is pronounced like Rory, but is the Gaelic version of the name. It is also traditionally a boys name. However it was one that went with family heritage and was something both Chris and I loved.


Now that we have that over with I will proceed with "The Story of Ruari":


Ruari Alexis Thompson is 1 month and 5 days old as of today. The time has flown by so quickly. SO many people are asking "what happened to her being born on Valentines Day as was planned?" Well here's what happened: Because of the vast complications during my pregnancy, we had a planned c-section booked for Feb 14th at 1:45pm. Valentines Day! On Sunday night (Feb 10th) I sat and made a list of things I needed to do in the next couple days before our c-section on Thursday afternoon. Since I was going to be out for my dr's appt on Monday I figured I would go grocery shopping and run errands right afterwards. That way I was only making one trip out and I would have all the groceries done and ready for when I would be in the hospital a few days. Making things easier for Chris. Monday morning was like any other that week, I just took it easy and then at 2pm I woke Chris up to go with me to my very last dr's appt as a pregnant woman. Austin actually decided to come with us too. My appt was for 3:45 but Dr. Wilkinson was running late so we didn't go in until after 4:00. We spoke about the c-section and she gave us a basic rundown of what was going to happen, then she had me lay down so she could listen to the baby's heart rate like she does at every appt. Only that day it was different. I knew it right away by the look on her face and the fact she was listening for a lot longer than normal. After she finished she confirmed my fears.. something wasn't quite right. The baby's heart beat was all over the place.. fast for a few beats then really slow and so on. The Dr. told me to head over to the labour and delivery ward at the hospital immediately so they could do a non stress test and have a better look at the heart. Austin said he knew we were going to have the baby that day, of course I told him not to be silly, that her b-day would still be valentines day. 4:45 we are in the hospital and I was all strapped to the machines, one after another all these nurses kept coming in to listen with funny comments on how it sounds like rap music... but they were all visibly worried. They had my other OB- Dr Hunter (who was at the hospital) come in to take a look. He arrived at my bedside at 5:05 and after listening for a bit told me he thought it was best to do an emergency c-section right away. Chris asked him if we had time to call people to get there, he said "no we're going now". Austin looked horrified when he was told he would have to go to the waiting room by himself, but said it would be ok. The nurses told Chris he had time to call my sister to get there to wait with Austin. He called and then had to head straight to get "scrubbed in". He wasn't even allowed to wait for her to get there. So we went into surgery thinking Austin was alone in the waiting room and that made me cry. Chris reminded me that he's almost 11 and perfectly fine in there for a short while. So we were waiting in a pre-surgery clean room, for a few minutes at 5:15-5:25. Then they took me to do the spinal and left Chris to wait... everything is an emotional blur after that point until Chris was brought in and my surgery was already under way. He wiped the tears from my eyes as I cried at how things were happening too fast... Then I heard them say those perfect words... "YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL" I couldn't believe it was over already. After all the bad things that happened to us during this pregnancy it was wonderful to see my baby girl. Chris went to her and they stitched me back up... Chris was able to take her to see her big brother and Auntie Shanny, and her Grandma who had arrived just as he was bringing her out.... As soon as Chris came back with her it was "skin time" where they lay her directly on my chest skin to skin for bonding... That was just shortly after 6pm.

That is the chaotic story of the birth of my duaghter.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:14 am

    Wow that's quite a story. What happened during your pregnancy that was so rough? I thought you were having twins. Did you loose one of the babies? Sorry to pry but I think your readers will all agree that we're here for you if you ever want to share the story. I am glad you have this precious little one in the end. Glad your back to blogging again. We missed you.

    CHeryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So glad everything turned out well! She is beautiful and I love the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:17 pm

    I'm so glade your back and so happy for you!! Enjoy that new baby time goes so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:36 am

    Coleen I have never commented before in your blog, but I kept checking to see how you were and if you had returned. I knew you werent happy about the move and I'm glad you have returned (to Ont. I assume and if I remember correctly you were north of Toronto, right?) I would think maybe Newmarket or Bradford or Barrie.....in that area. Your new little daughter is so gorgeous and well worth the wait. Glad to see you back again. Sorry I dont blog, just read, but am the mother of 5 and live in Ottawa.

    Ruth in Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - she is beyond beautiful!!! you're so blessed and i'm so glad it all worked out for thes best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness....

    I leave for a little while and wander back in to your blog and this is what I see!!

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And she is absolutely beautiful!!!

    And the name is perfect!!! (I love unique names...me with a McKenna, Delaney, and Scout at home. L0L)

    Anyway.. great to pop back in here again! Great to see how everything is going!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for a taking a moment to let me know your thoughts! I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...