Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday 15 October 2006

Ladies and gents, Santa is dead.

So I am still feeling lousy. Bad cough and horrible congestion. Keeps me from sleeping. The good news is the snow melted away and with it went the "Christmas is coming stress".

Speaking of Christmas. It is with great sadness that I announce the death of Santa. His spirit will live on in millions of other gullible children around the world. My child however no longer believes in him and grilled me yesterday. He is 9 so I guess we had a pretty good run. 2 Christmas's ago he started questioning Santa. We answered all his question carefully and his belief lived on. Last year he said point blank. "Mom, I know you are Santa. I am not sure how exactly but I know you are." I laughed and said for him "not to be silly, how could I get all the gifts to a world of kids when I don't even leave home?" he pondered that for a sec and then said "yeah well I know you have something to do with it". I managed to keep it going again last year.

Last night while speaking of Christmas, Austin blurted out "there is no Santa, you guys do it all and pretend it's him". I was flabbergasted, it was such a direct statement I didn't know how to respond. I looked over at Chris and we shared a look that said: "it's time". I then gently told him the basic
story of Santa, and explained to him that we pretend in order to keep the spirit of Santa alive. We also told him that knowing the truth comes with the great responsibility of NEVER EVER telling another child. He must always maintain that Santa is real so he doesn't ruin it for other kids. I hope we handled it well. But Santa is "dead" in our house and Christmas will never be the same. Is it crazy that it makes me cry?

3 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to see your layout!

    I don't know if you have Costco in Canada--but if you do, they carry a great Heidi Swapp accessory package. 578 pieces for 29.99! I bought it awhile ago, and am still using the stuff on layouts. (The little tags on my smiles layout are hers.) I absolutely love her product. It goes anywhere.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:20 pm

    Ouch - I remember too that time when my dd no longer believed...and you gave your son such good advice! To this day, we still do "Santa" stuff...she'll get a couple goodies from santa and we'll leave cookies out (her idea) to keep the spirit alive. We're all kids anyway....and it's such a beautiful memory of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you handled it very well. It's sad when they quit believing. My youngest just turned 10 and he was a believer until last year.
    I can't get enough of chatterbox. They are my all time favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for a taking a moment to let me know your thoughts! I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...