Email Me!

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Friday 29 December 2006

Senseless tragedy

This is the most serious post I have written. It expresses a large dose of anger that almost borders on rage. If you read this you may feel that I am selfish, but please know that I just need a place to vent and this happens to be it.

On our way out Boxing Day shopping around lunch time we saw a window blow out of an apartment and smoke start pouring out. Immediately my husband knew what to do, he shouted at me to call 911, then he jumped out of the car and ran straight in to the building to bang on doors to get them up and out. It seemed no one was in the apartment that was on fire. But all the other tenants in the building had been ignoring the smoke alarm assuming it was a false alarm. IT WAS NOT. The fire department arrived and did their magic and said that the apartment was empty. Thank god no one was there. The apartment was gutted, nothing was left. What upset me was that 5 minutes after the fire department got there a car pulled up and a young couple (maybe 20) got out and were visibly upset. It was their apartment. Guess what the girl had in her hands.... 2 bags of frozen french fries. Immediately it answered all my questions. But listening to what she said to the fire chief made me so angry. They had put a pot of grease on the stove to heat up and then realized they had no fries. They decided to leave the grease on the stove to heat up while they BOTH went to the store. That way it would be ready to go when they got home. WTF WTF WTF??????? I felt bad that they lost everything, and in that moment I needed to ignore my anger and so I offered my help. I found out their family all lived far away and they had no one close by, so I offered to let them stay at my hotel. I get an employee discount and told them I would pay for it until they knew what they were going to do. I offered them my home to go warm up and make phone calls. I offered them lunch. I really wanted to do what I could. Even if it was just these little things. Now that a few days have passed I am just plain angry and I need to express that. I know they were young but let's face it, this was avoidable by using common sense. My husband risked his life to go into that building, and all the lives of the other tenants were in danger, all because they did something so STUPID. It shakes me to the core to know that I could have lost Chris that day. I am proud that he did what he did, he may have saved lives, by putting his own in danger. But none of it should have happened in the first place. I am happy that this is something they will remember forever (as horrible as it is to say). They need to have this as a constant reminder to NEVER do something like that again. I drove by there today and saw the windows are now all boarded up and the waste bin outside is over flowing with their possessions, all blackened beyond recognition.

People, please give a quick thought to your own actions regarding fire safety. Please refrain from any activity that could potentially cause a fire in your home. Remember that it really doesn't take long. The fire dept estimated that it took 7 minute for this entire apartment to be lost.

9 comments:

  1. oy. what an expensive lesson to have learned. thanks be to God that they ONLY lost their possesions, instead of their lives...over a bag of french fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all ... how RIDICULOUS was their thinking??? Oh my gosh!! Your husband was very brave to run into that building, and you have been most generous to help them out. My goodness ... who on earth would leave HOT oil on a stove? Heck, I wouldn't even leave cold oil in a pan on the stove. As you said, their actions were just plain stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your blog...vent away!
    I still can't believe that they were so stupid...yes STUPID! I'm totally blown away.
    Your husbands bravery is wonderful as is your generosity and willingness to help in whatever way you could. You are great people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Coleen! You and your husband are such wonderful people. Most never help in any way but I feel proud to *know* you! I agree that is was totally stupid..it is just lucky that no one was killed or seriously injured. You have a right to be angry. Youth is no excuse for being so thoughtless.
    My late father was a career fire fighter (for over 25 years) and such things happen more than many realize.
    You really are a special woman dear Coleen. You and Chris are heroes you know. Really. Taking the time to do what you 2 did and to react like your husband did...not for any other reason than because it was right and pure and good.
    I do hope this young couple have thanked you repeatedly!
    Many hugs...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:46 am

    Chris for President!!!

    These people are stupid. I wonder what the rush was? "Oh gosh, let's keep the oil heating while we go get fries because when we get back I need to cook the fries immediately. I can't wait 5 minutes for the oil to heat up." So dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you coleen! I'm not sure that I could have been as compassionate! i would try but sometimes stupidity is just that and it's the only way people learn! Unfortunate but true! You and your husband should be proud of yourselves! And your son I'm sure knows how special his parent truly are! your a role model to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They definitely did a dumb thing but hopefully they learned a lesson that will last a lifetime and maybe even prevent something like this happening later in life when they may have children. Thankfully no one was hurt. I'm sure you are so proud of your husband for what he did and you are so kind and generous as well. I'm sure they will always remember and appreciate what you two have done for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:16 am

    I am in shock to what I just read! How dumb can you be to leave grease on the stove? I think my 6 year old would know not to do that!!! Anyway, I am glad your husband is safe and sound and that nobody was hurt! Your husband deserves recognition for what he did! Great job Chris!
    Blessings for 2007! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so moved that you can work past your feelings of anger and still offer your help, your house and a place to stay. That isn't selfish at all. That is absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for a taking a moment to let me know your thoughts! I love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...